Definition of HSE Audit-
Auditing can be defined as: The structured process of collecting independent information on the efficiency, effectiveness and reliability of the total health and safety management system and drawing up plan for corrective action.
To establish & maintain procedures for carrying outHSE Audit to
- Verify conformity to the HSEMS Procedure & HSENorms;
- Determine the effectiveness efficiency and reliability of theHSEMS;
- Rate the HSE Performance of theProject;
- Adequacy of the system to theobjective.
- The project site shall be audited once in fourmonths.
- It is ensured that the personnel assigned to carry out the audit are independent of those havingdirectresponsibility for the audited activity. Personnel who carry out internal audits are trained inauditingtechniques.
- Audit is conducted by auditors seeking objective evidence demonstrating whether theauditedactivitiescomplywiththerequirementsofthedocumentedHSEMSandratetheHSEperformanceofthe project as per the HSE Auditscorecard.
- Under normal circumstances, audits shall not be postponed; in extra-ordinary circumstances,ifpostponement is unavoidable, the person who seeks the postponement (either the auditor ortheauditee) shall give alternative audit date(s) within 10 working days of the originaldate.
- Audit report shall not be restricted to some physical (unsafe) observations at site and fewother(unrelated)observationsrelatedtodocuments/records,inadditiontothescoringsystem.Itshouldhave a comprehensive coverage to all the requirements of theHSEMS.
- When nonconformity is noted, it is brought to the attention of, and discussed with theresponsiblepersonandanonconformityreportisraised.Theauditorfillsoutthefirstpartoftheformdescribingthe non-conformity, which is agreed & acknowledged by the auditee. The responsible person usesthesecond part of the report to propose a corrective action and the Date by which the correctiveactionwill beimplemented.
- Thesemeetings shall be attended by responsible persons at the auditee’s worklocation.
- AuditorevaluatestheHSEperformanceoftheoffice/ sitequantitativelywiththeauditscorecardofoffice / site as a guide. The scores obtained are summarized in the Audit scoring summarysheet.
- Auditor shall send the Audit Report comprising of Non Conformity Report, Observations andAuditScoring summary sheet to Auditee, HOD-HSE.
- ImmediatelyafterthedueDateforimplementationofcorrectiveaction,theHSE headfollowsuptodetermine, if corrective action has been implemented and whether it is effective. If more workisneeded, to fully implement the action, a new follow – up Date is agreedupon.
- Upon satisfactory completion of implementation of corrective action and verification oftheeffectiveness of the corrective action, the status of nonconformity report is closed by HSSE head.
- The Non-conformity reports are retained by the auditee functions until they are closedout.
- ClosedoutNon-conformityreportsareretainedbytheManagementRepresentative/ HSE head,whoperiodically reviews the status of all Non – conformity reports to determine pendingnonconformitiesrequiring follow up on correctiveactions.
- Copies of Closed out non-conformities are sent to auditee forrecords.
Critical Area Safety (Standard Operating Procedure) Audit
- CAS / SOP Audit is done for the below mentioned 7 criticalactivities:
- Lift shaft and floor openingprotection;
- Working on peripheralplatforms;
- Builders hoistoperation;
- Temporary electrical distributionsystem;
- Barricades for excavation;
- Passenger host materials host;
- Mast climbing working platform.
- CAS / SOP Audit is conducted once in a month, along with 3 team members which includesExecutionteam and HSETeam.
- EvaluationofonsitecompliancetoSOPisdonebytheteam;Ratingforthecomplianceismadethrough designatedformat.
- Observations for improvement are communicated to site team for compliance and recorded inShiftobservationreport.
- Compliance is followed by and recorded in shift observationreport.
Abbreviation: – SOP- Standard Operating Procedure, CAS- Critical Area Safety, HSE- Health Safety Environment, HSEMS- Health Safety Environment Management Systemand HOD- Head of Department.